Severe Weather (Ice/Snow/Floods)
Important information for Parents/Carers/Students
- The school will endeavour to remain open at all times shown on the school Calendar.
- Our priority is to ensure students can prepare for and take their public examinations.
If the school is closed it will be based on the following:
- Students will be unsafe on site because of the weather conditions or it will be unsafe for them to travel/walk to school.
- Insufficient staff will be in attendance because they are unable to travel due to the conditions.
- The ability to make the site safe, heat the buildings, provide toilet facilities and catering and the likely prevailing conditions for the rest of the day, in particular the ability of students and staff to return home safely.
Parents/Carers must make the decision whether it is safe for their child to travel/walk to school but the decision to keep children at home should only be made when it would be dangerous to send a child to school. You are politely reminded of your legal responsibility to ensure your child attends school.
In severe weather parents should check on BBC Devon/Heart Radio/Radio Exe to hear lists of school closures.
A decision will be made by 7.30 am if possible.
If possible we will make an announcement on our website by 7.30 am. Parents/Carers will be informed by text message or by email using the primary contact mobile telephone number or email address you have provided to us. The information will also be posted on our Twitter feed.
If the decision is made to close the school, work to be completed at home can be found on our Show My Homework webpage.
Early closure during the school day:
Decisions will be made based on the risk assessment criteria.
Parents/Carers will be informed by text message or by email using the primary contact mobile telephone number or email address you have provided to us and via the school website.