Year 6: Transition at West Exe School
When our students join us in year 7, they immediately become part of our vibrant West Exe community, and that is the beginning of a five-year adventure. All students at West Exe have the opportunity to learn a new language, to experience an overseas residential, to take part in our exceptional Electives Programme and to become one of our student leaders, whether that be through our well-established student parliament, or through a range of ambassadorial roles.
Students at West Exe know that to be truly successful not just in school, but in life, they need to be curious, adaptable, ambitious, resilient and proud, but most of all, they need to be kind. Every day, we encourage students to be their very #BestExe!
We have a comprehensive transition process that ensures that the move between primary and secondary school is a supported, personalised and a smooth process that recognises the needs of each individual child.
Our pledge to you for transition at West Exe School:
• We will do everything we can to ensure that every Ted Wragg Multi Academy Trust (TWMAT) child has the best possible transition between Primary and Secondary schools. We will stay in contact with all Primary schools and provide contact details so communication can be effective.
We will provide every child with exciting opportunities including:
• A video introducing and preparing every child to secondary school life.
• Every child will receive a Copy of ‘Wonder’ to read by the time they start secondary school. An audio file is also available to support them with this.
• A chance to complete a writing task. Writing to their new tutor introducing themselves, what their hobbies are, what they are looking forward to about starting at their secondary school and what they are worried about.
• An introductory Maths course via our exciting and highly successful SPARX programme. ‘SPARX Maths’ (SMVC/ Sparx Maths virtual classroom). This programme is used to deliver Maths in all Trust Secondary schools.
• A Knowledge Organiser ‘Getting to know your school’ and instructions on how to use cover, write check to check what your child has learnt about their Secondary school.
Towards the end of the summer term, we will hold New Intake Parents’ Welcome Evening. During this evening, parents and students are able to find out key information and meet their child's tutor for the first time. This is followed by a two day transition for Year 6 students to meet their tutor and other students from our feeder schools. They will follow a timetable for the two days to get a taste of what being a student at West Exe School will be like, including completing Extended Practice homework to help all students feel confident and have a successful start.
Please remember to put the following dates in your diary:
Tuesday, 9 July 2024: 4.30 – 6.30pm
Welcome Evening for all Year 6 Parents
Wednesday, 10, Thursday, 11 and Friday, 12 July 2024 (all day)
Transition Days for Year 6 students
In the meantime, if you have any further questions at this stage, please do not hesitate to contact our Transition team by telephone on 01392 660100 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please see below useful links:
- Uniform Information
- School Day and Equipment Information
- Extended Practice (Homework) Information
- Term Dates